Location: Boston, MA
The Assistant Editor is an editor in the higher education group. The Assistant Editor provides editorial support to developmental editors working on content development for higher education projects. Reporting to the Development Editor, the Assistant Editor will complete editorial tasks according to company and client guidelines. The Assistant Editor works closely with freelance writers and editors, development editors, and internal project managers and other stakeholders to achieve our clients’ business goals.
The Assistant Editor should have 1–2 years of experience reviewing manuscripts for college textbooks. The candidate will implement all phases of manuscript reviewing for projects under the direction of the development editors. In addition, the Assistant Editor will manage ancillary development such as instructor’s manuals, solution manuals, test banks, and PowerPoint slides, under the direction of the development editors. In this role, the Assistant Editor will work closely with multiple ancillary writers and contributors. The Assistant Editor will be responsible for updating the development editors on the status and progress of ancillary manuscript development and reviewing assignments. The Assistant Editor should be able to pivot among a variety of tasks as required on projects assigned. This position is preferably on-site in Boston, MA, or Austin, TX, but a remote candidate may be considered.
- Under the direction of the Development Editor, works in collaboration with the Associate Editor to perform program development tasks including reviewing and ancillary development
- Works with project managers and development editors to ensure that ancillary and reviewing project deadlines and targets are met
- Assists in-house development editors by coordinating textbook manuscript reviews and organizing reviewer comments in preparation for formal review summaries
- Manages the freelance development of textbook ancillaries; coordinates and checks work from freelance ancillary writers; provides feedback for revisions; prepares ancillaries for production
- Reviews textbook and ancillary manuscripts for adherence to the project guidelines, improving on correctness, clarity, organization, and other issues as assigned
- Provides assistance to the Development Editor on a range of additional editorial tasks as needed and coordinates collaboratively with the Associate Editor and others
Leadership and Communication Skills
- Demonstrates good planning, communication, problem-solving, and judgment and the ability to positively influence the editorial team dynamic
- Communicates effectively, diplomatically, and in a timely manner with internal and external team members such as project managers, in-house and freelance development editors, and freelance writers
- Collaborates positively as a team player using outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and adapts quickly and effectively when faced with changing priorities and instructions
- Anticipates the needs of development editors and freelancers and works proactively to address them
- Manages multiple tasks efficiently and communicates swiftly with other editors and project managers to ensure successful teamwork on projects
- Takes direction from the development editors, collaborates with the Associate Editor, asks for guidance as needed, and works well independently
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or a related field
- Previous experience in editorial or administrative work for a college publishing company as an intern, editorial assistant, editorial associate, or assistant editor
- Experience with all phases of the college textbook manuscript reviewing process
- Familiarity with editorial processes and administrative support of editorial functions
- Proven writing and editing skills appropriate to a publishing environment, including proficiency with audience, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Efficient work habits with solid time management skills and the ability to prioritize, evaluate progress, and multitask
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.