Location: Boston, MA
The Associate Editor is an experienced editor within the Six Red Marbles higher education group. The Associate Editor acts as support to the Development Editor on digital and print content development for introductory college projects. Reporting to the Development Editor, the Associate Editor will complete editorial tasks according to company and client guidelines. The Associate Editor will work closely with freelance writers and editors, in-house development editors, and internal project managers and other stakeholders to achieve our clients’ business goals. Candidates should have at least 3 years of editorial experience assisting with college textbook and ancillary development and manuscript reviewing, and should have knowledge of educational publishing workflows and processes.
The candidate is responsible for assisting development editors with manuscript reviews; therefore, having a background conducting college textbook reviews is important to this position. In addition, the associate editor will manage ancillary development, including evaluating submissions from freelance writers, suggesting revisions, and preparing documents for production. Under the supervision of the Development Editor, the Associate Editor may be responsible for developing a core undergraduate textbook by working closely with freelance authors and contributors while maintaining quality and adherence to client guidelines. The Associate Editor should be able to pivot among a variety of editorial tasks as required on assigned projects. This position is preferably on-site in Boston, MA, or Austin, TX, but a remote candidate may be considered.
- Works under the direction of the Development Editor on manuscript reviews, ancillary development, core text development, and other tasks as assigned
- Advises the Development Editor on the status of all assigned projects proactively; troubleshoots and alerts the Development Editor to any issues
- Communicates effectively and diplomatically with internal and external team members such as project managers, in-house and freelance development editors, and freelance authors and writers
- Works with project managers and development editors to ensure that project deadlines and targets are met
- Assists in-house development editors by coordinating textbook manuscript reviews with college faculty and organizing materials in preparation for review summaries
- Manages the freelance development of textbook ancillaries; coordinates and checks work from freelance ancillary writers; provides feedback for revisions; prepares ancillaries for production
- Reviews textbook and ancillary manuscripts for adherence to the project guidelines, improving on correctness, clarity, organization, and other issues as assigned
- Manages the development of a main textbook under the close direction of the Development Editor
- Provides assistance to the Development Editor on a range of editorial tasks as needed and coordinates collaboratively with the Assistant Editor and others
Leadership and Communication Skills
- Demonstrates strategic thinking and planning, team leadership, communication, negotiation, problem-solving, good judgment, and the ability to positively influence others
- Coordinates and manages multiple tasks efficiently and communicates quickly and effectively with other in-house editors, project managers, and freelancers
- Possesses efficient work habits with solid time management skills and the ability to prioritize, report on progress, and multitask
- Collaborates as a team player to help foster engaged, positive, and creative editorial teams on assigned projects
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and adapts quickly and effectively when faced with changing priorities and roles
- Maintains professionalism, a calm approach, and commitment to projects even when under pressure
- Solves problems and proactively identifies solutions to issues and alerts other team members as needed
- Takes direction from the development editors and staff, seeks guidance when needed, and works well independently
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or a related field
- Previous publishing experience as an editorial assistant, editorial associate, assistant editor, or associate editor working on content development for higher education projects
- Familiarity with editorial processes and administrative support of editorial functions
- Experience managing and implementing reviews of college textbook manuscripts required
- Experience working on ancillaries for college textbooks preferred
- Proven writing and editing skills appropriate to a publishing environment with a good grasp of audience, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Suitable foundation in college textbook development to begin developing core texts with supervision
- Knowledge of social media platforms and conferencing platforms preferred
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google tools
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.