Curriculum Specialist, Math
Location: Boston, MA/Austin, TX
The Curriculum Specialist is a subject-matter expert responsible for developing curriculum content for SRM and its clients. He or she may generate the content or may be responsible for checking the work of other team members (Six Red Marbles employees, contractors, and consultants), maintaining quality, and ensuring adherence to client guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
Content Knowledge and Expertise
- Produces accurate, subject-specific content.
- Understands a curriculum area well enough to accurately decide what concepts and difficulty levels are appropriate for material for students of different ages.
- Applies knowledge of the school setting to avoid topics or approaches that are no longer in favor with teachers.
Writing/Content Development Skills
- Produces clean content with few, if any, grammatical and stylistic errors.
- Produces clearly worded, logically organized lessons that are interesting for learners, easy to understand, and on target in terms of client expectations.
- Produces content that aligns with approach, tone, and format of the program/project.
- Follows client and content lead guidelines.
- Accurately incorporates client and content lead feedback.
- Can create clear, comprehensive templates and guidelines, with guidance from content lead.
- Can adjust time-on-task to balance budget and schedule metrics provided by project manager and content lead.
Editing/Content Refinement Skills
- Ensures that content from outside vendors or other internal staff is accurate and contains clear, engaging, and pedagogically sound instruction.
- Ensures that content accurately matches guidelines for approach, tone, and format.
- Accurately identifies and corrects content and stylistic errors in others’ materials.
- Effectively implements client feedback.
- Knowledgeably and effectively incorporates key tenets of learning theory and design.
- Applies practical knowledge of what works in the classroom and what teachers expect from a good lesson, item, or activity.
Knowledge of Educational Marketplace
- Effectively applies an understanding of the politics of what is or isn’t acceptable content based on bias and sensitivity concerns.
- Incorporates state and national and international standards, as appropriate, into content development.
- Maintains an awareness of trends, expectations, and standards of specific client marketplaces, to keep content as marketable as possible.
- Effectively communicates internally and externally, maintaining regular touchpoints with project or team staff.
- Proposes solutions for content problems with sound reasoning around business and marketplace principles.
- Maintains self-organization sufficient to promptly answer queries from team or client.
- Adapts flexibly to changes in roles and needs on projects.
- Proactively identifies solutions to issues and works with other team members to prevent them from becoming difficulties.
- Recognizes and escalates issues of scope and approval criteria.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to effectively communicate in writing and in speaking
- Solid organizational skills
- Ability to wear many hats and provide many roles on a variety of types of projects
- Excellent people skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform well under pressure
- Willingness to learn on-the-fly
- Knowledge of subject matter area (college degree preferred)
- Knowledge of the educational/curriculum industry (preferred)
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to see the big picture
Education: Bachelor degree required, master’s preferred
Experience: Minimum 5 years of industry experience
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do, too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at (+1) 857-588-9000.