Development Editor – Health Sciences
Location: Boston, MA / Austin, TX
The development editor is an experienced editor serving as the editorial lead for print and digital projects for higher education in health services.
Essential Job Functions
The candidate should have solid experience developing instructional materials for health science disciplines and knowledge of educational publishing workflows and processes, preferably including online course development.
Reporting to the managing editor for higher education, the development editor will direct the creation of editorial content according to company and client guidelines, working closely with the freelance writers, editors, and SMEs, as well as internal project managers and other stakeholders, to achieve our clients’ business goals. The development editor manages project-based content development teams while also developing select projects.
The position requires the successful candidate to have enough health sciences (allied health, nursing, medicine, and related healthcare fields) content expertise to comfortably lead projects, as well as a proven ability to manage project-based teams of writers and editors.
The development editor will participate in creating project-specific guidelines and acceptance criteria, serve as the primary editorial contact to internal staff and clients on health science projects, work with internal teams to locate and evaluate qualified project staff, review and take responsibility for the adherence to specifications and quality, work with the project management team to ensure timely delivery of content to internal departments and clients, and problem-solve issues that arise during development.
The candidate is responsible for checking the work of other team members and maintaining quality and adherence to client guidelines and may also generate and develop content. The development editor will be responsible for communicating project process to clients and participating in client meetings. This position is on-site in Boston, MA or Austin, TX.
- Identifying writing and editorial resources as needed; leading in-house and freelance project teams on health science and related projects from inception through post-launch
- Assessing requirements and assigning resources for projects; ensuring content produced by internal staff, freelance writers, editors, and outside vendors is clear and accurate, adheres to project guidelines and formats, addresses subject matter expert and client feedback, and is consistent across deliverables
- Working directly and collaboratively with editorial, production, design, and technical teams to manage resources, workflow, and schedules
- Supporting project managers in staffing projects, balancing team members’ capabilities against the tasks required, building and overseeing a realistic schedule and budget, and monitoring time-on-task for team members
- Communicating with the project managers to ensure that projects meet client expectations and project deadlines and contribute to achieving goals by staying on time and within budgets
- Serving as a point-person and “thought partner” on health sciences projects for clients as needed, reporting on project status and troubleshooting alongside project managers, contributing ideas for process improvements and facilitating strong ongoing collaboration with clients
- Communicating promptly with the managing editor and other internal stakeholders to ensure pertinent information about projects is known at all times and that changes in the allocation of resources or scope of projects are dealt with quickly and effectively
- Has developmental editing experience in educational publishing, specifically on health science educational materials; online course development experience is preferred
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills and proven ability to manage projects and project-based teams
- Communicates project requirements effectively, including any changes in the scope of projects or budgets to internal teams
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and adapts quickly and effectively when faced with changing priorities and roles
- Establishes regular touch points with internal and external project or team staff
- Employs excellent problem-solving skills to keep projects on schedule and on budget
- Responds quickly and effectively to queries from team, management, or client
- Keeps all business and accounting project information well organized and up-to-date
- Maintains professionalism, calm approach, and commitment to projects even when under pressure
- Problem-solves and proactively identifies solutions to issues while working with team members to prevent difficulties
- Anticipates the needs of content leads and freelancers and works proactively to address them
- Establishes effective communication channels with both internal and external resources, as well as clients
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of experience successfully managing content development projects in higher educational publishing, with at least 2 years focused on health science (allied health, nursing, or medicine, and related to health care disciplines)
- Successful management and performance of developmental editing on multiple health science texts, supplements, and e-learning products for the higher education market
- Experience in developing and maintaining complex schedules for lengthy projects and development and maintenance of budgets for the same
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills in managing small editorial teams or freelancers while working with an extended team of editorial, design, and production editors
- Developed and maintained excellent contact list with expertise in health care disciplines from which to recruit writers, editors, and subject matter experts for projects and in assembling teams
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Evidence of strategic thinking and planning, team leadership, communication, negotiation, problem-solving, good judgement, and the ability to positively influence others is required
- Excellent customer service attitude, communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate with other editorial and project managers
- Strong ability to foster and maintain a positive and creative project team
- Strong PC skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google tools; comfortable working on Mac and PC platforms; experience with content management systems preferred
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles is an award-winning creator of innovative digital and blended learning programs. As the largest U.S.-based provider of learning experience design, content development, edtech and publishing services, we partner with publishers, schools, universities, foundations, and companies to develop interactive and engaging products that support personalized learning. Six Red Marbles is a subsidiary of Flatirons Solutions, Inc, with offices in Boston, Brattleboro, Austin, Delhi, and Chennai, India.
Apply for this position.
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at (+1) 857-588-9000.