Full-Time Fact-Checker / Copy Editor
Location: Boston, MA / Austin, TX
Six Red Marbles is looking for a full-time staff fact-checker/copyeditor to work in the editorial services department. The fact-checker/copyeditor is an essential person in the workflow of most projects at Six Red Marbles, working on educational projects that range across disciplines and grade levels. This position can be located in Boston, MA, or Austin, TX.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborate with department members and members of multidisciplinary project teams
- Attend meetings with clients as required by different projects
- Perform fact-checking on a variety of projects, from literature to physics and in between, based on needs of the client
- Participate in assessing need for and hiring of freelance fact-checkers and indexers
- Assign work to and check work of freelance fact-checkers
- Manage schedules and deliverables for fact-checking projects
- As time permits, copyedit as assigned by editorial services supervisor
- Ensure copy is grammatically correct
- Ensure copy is free from spelling and punctuation errors
- Ensure copy makes logical sense and is understandable
- Ensure copy conforms to the pertinent style guide
- Check basic facts, such as dates and names
- Check formatting is correct and consistent
- Query editor about unclear or confusing copy
- Proofread and perform other miscellaneous tasks per project requirements
Success factors/Job competencies
- Excellent communication skills, internal and client-facing
- Flexible and able to switch work on projects quickly and effectively
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ease with and willingness to learn new technology
- Comfortable working in Word and PDF
- Able to organize and prioritize in a fast-paced, self-starter environment
- Able to remain cool under pressure
- Education: Undergraduate degree
- Experience: At least three (3) years of copyediting experience and three (3) years of fact-checking experience, as well as some experience/knowledge of educational publishing
All qualified applicants will be asked to complete a fact-checking test and a copyediting test.
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles is an award-winning creator of innovative digital and blended learning programs. As the largest U.S.-based provider of learning experience design, content development, edtech and publishing services, we partner with publishers, schools, universities, foundations, and companies to develop interactive and engaging products that support personalized learning. Six Red Marbles is a subsidiary of Flatirons Solutions, Inc, with offices in Boston, Brattleboro, Austin, Delhi, and Chennai, India.
Apply for this position.
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (+1) 857-588-9000.