Location: Boston, MA
The Project Manager is responsible for leading the planning, execution, and delivery of educational content (digital and print) and technology projects. The Project Manager owns project execution and ensures that all aspects of the project are delivered on time, on budget, and to the highest standard of quality. They are responsible for managing and collaborating with project team members (Six Red Marbles employees, contractors, and vendors), allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner, and maintaining a cooperative, motivated, and successful team. They are also expected to work closely with their client counterpart and the client’s project team to ensure that all aspects of the project delivery are to the client’s satisfaction.
Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities
- Lead the planning and implementation of the project from beginning to end, both with the internal SRM team and with the client project team
- With adherence to the statement of work, collaborate with the functional area leads, including learning experience design, editorial, digital development, and production to facilitate adherence to project scope, project goals, deliverables, level of effort, risk assessment, scheduling strategies, resource and staffing, budgeting, change management, communication, and acceptance criteria, both internally and with clients
- Follow defined project management methodology for planning, tracking, quality management, and communication
- Utilize defined project management tools to set up and manage the project
- Collaborate with the Project Director and other functional directors to assemble and coordinate internal staff; collaborate with team to identify freelancers, consultants, or vendors
- In collaboration with the Project Director and relevant functional directors, confirm effort and time required to complete project tasks; communicate project utilization metrics to project team members and track and report hours and expenses charged against the project budget
- Actively manage project resources, including giving and tracking delivery of assignments, mitigating late deliveries, and managing resource communication
- Provide real-time tracking of freelancer, consultant, and vendor assignments; work with vendor management to set up and manage external contracts and purchase orders. Manage tracking of freelance/vendor resource costs against purchase orders.
Budgeting, Forecasting, and Reporting
- Maintain the project budget, including estimated and actual hours and expenses, and estimated and actual deliverables, using SRM’s project management tools
- Update and validate data in SRM’s financial system of record
- Track project hours and expenses against project budget, including forecasting remaining project hours and expenses, to identify and mitigate potential overages; collaborate with functional leads to strategize prevention and mitigation of overages
- Develop and report on operational excellence and effectiveness through KPIs on budget, scope management, quality, resources, etc.
- Actively manage project scope through ongoing comparison of contractual agreement with realized delivery of project, including client feedback, timeliness of deliverables, adherence to acceptance criteria, etc.; escalate to appropriate stakeholders and document scope changes, risks, or issues through the change management process
Leadership and Communication
- Serve as the primary contact for day-to-day project communication for all involved in the project, including clients, the internal SRM team, and outside contractors and vendors
- Anticipate, identify, and document risks and issues on the project; collaborate with the team to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the project life cycle; document and escalate issues as appropriate
- Proactively lead project team members across all functional areas
- Provide regular, detailed reporting to key stakeholders on project metrics and KPIs
- Communicate project status to the client and internal stakeholders on a regular basis at intervals defined during project planning stage and as needed to meet client requests
- Hold regular internal and client status meetings as necessary; set meeting agenda with input from the team; document and distribute minutes/notes following every meeting; keep all meeting participants focused and on task to maximize efficiency
- Keep internal stakeholders apprised of any risks to the project schedule, budget, or deliverables as soon as they become apparent; collaborate with functional directors to communicate risks and/or issues and their resulting solution to the client
Desired Skills and Experience
- Must be well-organized, detail-oriented, and highly analytical, possess strong problem-solving skills, and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able to adapt quickly to meet changing project goals or shifting priorities
- Strong business acumen with specific attention to project financials, metrics, and KPIs
- Excellent customer service skills and strong interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) across all levels, internally and with clients
- Proven ability to effectively manage internal and external teams
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment; able to enforce on-time deliveries in a deadline-driven environment; self-disciplined
- Proven experience of project management processes and methodologies, tools, and infrastructure
- Experience working with cross-functional teams in a matrix environment
- Proficient in Windows environment, particularly Microsoft Excel; MS Teams and Sharepoint
- Knowledge of the education (preK–12 or higher ed) or publishing industries a plus
- Experience in Agile methodology a plus
- 2+ years of budgeting, forecasting, and overall financial management experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years of project management experience required
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We only bring the best and the brightest to our team. Interested in a career with Six Red Marbles? Lifelong learners need apply.
If you have questions about what it’s like to work with or for Six Red Marbles, we’re happy to answer.Reach out