Location: Boston, MA / Austin, TX
The project manager is responsible for leading the design, planning, and implementation of educational publishing (digital and print) and educational technology (SAAS and product) projects. The project manager owns project execution and ensures that all aspects of the project are delivered on time, on budget, and to the highest standard of quality. They are responsible for managing and collaborating with project team members (Six Red Marbles employees, contractors, and consultants), allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner and maintaining a cooperative, motivated, and successful team. They are also expected to work closely with their client counterpart and the client’s project team to ensure that all aspects of the project delivery are to the client’s satisfaction.
Specific duties, activities, and responsibilities
- Lead the design, planning, and implementation of the project from beginning to end, both with the internal SRM team and with the client project team.
- With adherence to the statement of work, collaborate with the functional area leads, ranging from learning experience design, content design and development, and digital development, to facilitate adherence to project scope, project goals, deliverables definition/identification, level of effort, risk assessment, scheduling strategies, resource and staffing, budgeting, change management, communication planning, and acceptance criteria, both internally and with clients.
- Follow defined project management methodology for planning, tracking, quality management, and communication.
- Utilize defined project management tools to set up projects, including the ERP, project tracking tools, and document and asset management tools.
- Collaborate with the project director and other functional area directors to assemble and coordinate internal staff; collaborate with appropriate directors to assess freelancers, consultants, and vendors.
- In collaboration with the project director and relevant functional directors, confirm effort and time required to complete project tasks; communicate agreed upon time-on-task metrics to project team members and track and report hours and expenses charged against the project budget.
- Actively manage project resources, including giving and tracking of assignments, mitigating late deliveries, and managing resource communication.
- Provide real-time tracking of freelancer, consultant, and vendor assignments; manage external contracts, purchase orders, and invoices as needed.
Budgeting, Forecasting and Reporting
- Develop and maintain the project budget, including estimated and actual hours and expenses, and estimated and actual deliverables, using SRM’s project management tools.
- Update and validate data in SRM’s ERP system (D365).
- Track project hours and expenses against project budget, including forecasting remaining project hours and expenses, to identify and mitigate potential overages; collaborate with functional leads to strategize prevention and mitigation of overages.
- Develop and report on operational excellence and effectiveness through KPIs on budget, scope management, on-time delivery, quality, resources, etc.
- Actively manage project scope through ongoing comparison of contractual agreement with realized delivery of project, including client feedback, timeliness of deliverables, adherence to acceptance criteria, etc.; escalate and document scope changes, risks, or issues through the change management process.
Leadership and Communication
- Serve as the primary contact for day-to-day project communication for all involved in the project, from clients, to the internal SRM team, to outside contractors and consultants.
- Anticipate, identify, and document risk and issues on the project; collaborate with the team to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the project life cycle; document and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Proactively lead, coach, and motivate project team members across all functional areas.
- Communicate project status to the client and internal stakeholders on a regular basis at intervals defined during project planning stage and as needed to meet client requests.
- Hold regular internal and client status meetings as necessary; set meeting agenda with input from the team; document and distribute minutes/notes following every meeting; keep all meeting participants focused and on task to maximize efficiency.
- Keep internal stakeholders apprised of any risks to the project schedule, budget, or deliverables as soon as they become apparent; collaborate with functional director to communicate risks and/or issues and their resulting solution to the client.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and highly analytical person with strong problem-solving skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able to adapt quickly to meet changing project goals or shifting priorities
- Strong business acumen, with specific attention to project financials, metrics, and KPIs
- Excellent customer service skills and strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) across all levels, internally and with clients
- Proven ability to effectively manage internal and external teams
- Ability to enforce on-time deliveries in a deadline-driven environment; self-discipline
- Proven experience of project management processes and methodologies, tools, and infrastructure
- Experience working with cross-functional teams in a matrix environment
- Proficient in Window’s environment, particularly in Microsoft Excel; MS Teams and D365 experience a plus
- Knowledge of the education (PreK-12 or higher ed) or publishing industries a plus
- Experience in online course development a plus
- Experience in agile methodology a plus
- 2+ years of budgeting, forecasting, and overall financial management experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4+ years of project management experience required
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles is an award-winning creator of innovative digital and blended learning programs. As the largest U.S.-based provider of learning experience design, content development, edtech and publishing services, we partner with publishers, schools, universities, foundations, and companies to develop interactive and engaging products that support personalized learning. Six Red Marbles is a subsidiary of Flatirons Solutions, Inc, with offices in Boston, Brattleboro, Austin, Delhi, and Chennai, India.
Apply for this position.
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (+1) 857-588-9000.