Senior Director of Business Development
Location: Boston, MA/Austin, TX/Remote
We are looking for a Senior Director of Business Development (DBD) who is passionate and knowledgeable about education and has a proven track record of growing business at an executive level. This high-profile role is responsible for growing relationships with their portfolio of current customers, researching and prospecting new customers, and growing the presence of Six Red Marbles in the industry.
The DBD will manage the customer relationship throughout the proposal process and work closely with the internal operations teams to ensure projects are accurately scoped and client expectations are managed. The DBD will serve as the escalation point for client issues around project scope and delivery.
- Works with the marketing and operations teams as a part of the sales team on external communication and focuses on client management and sales intended to maintain and grow client engagements
- Initiates sales opportunities with targeted enterprise-level clients to develop new business relationships
- Is responsible for building and maintaining client relationships while identifying, pursuing and closing sales for SRM’s entire suite of services; experience in consultative sales with an emphasis on sales or consulting directly to key stakeholders is necessary
- Pursues new opportunities with current and new customers to meet sales targets
- Operates as the lead external point of contact for any and all matters specific to their clients
- Builds a productive pipeline and manages each phase of the sales process
- Cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with clients by delivering elite client service and engaging them by using knowledge of each industry and organization
- Develops an effective understanding of the capabilities, benefits, and competitive advantages of SRM’s services
- Determines frequency of client reviews and how the senior leadership can help grow the SRM-client relationship
- Forecasts and tracks key account metrics
- Identifies and grows opportunities
- Lead new business pitches and presentations
- Engages comfortably in business dialogue
- Regularly checks in with the client
- Maintains a collaborative environment on the client side by developing communication with different teams or departments
- Actively “cross-sells” SRM services where possible
People, Leadership, and Teamwork
- Ensures a thorough understanding of SRM’s service offerings, policies, procedures, and practices
- Collaborates with the project management team, assisting with prioritization, issue escalation, and coordinating client communication
- Provides strategic leadership and direction as needed to project delivery teams, ensuring that client business objectives are being met throughout delivery
- Plans and attends key client meetings, including account reviews, sale pitches (as needed), etc.
- Mentors other sales team members
- Promotes and fosters a strong team culture and open and transparent communication with the project delivery team
- Ensures that communication of key messages/initiatives is delivered correctly and appropriately to clients
- Supports the executive management team as it relates to corporate goals, corporate culture, and strategic initiatives
Project Management/Risk Mitigation
- Ensures customer satisfaction with solutions by managing client expectations with regard to schedule, scope, quality, and budget
- Makes decisions around presenting change orders
- Leads client project debrief (if needed)
- Has an in-depth understanding of the preparation of proposals, statements of work, master service agreements, and other contracts for clients; ensures they adhere to SRM’s standards and best practices
- Monitors invoicing and ensures top-line targets are being met
- Experience selling educational services to K–12 and/or adult learning customers.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and teams simultaneously
- Excellent customer service skills and strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) across all levels, both internally and with clients
- Strong customer relationship building, problem-solving, and negotiation skills in a client-facing environment
- Ability to drive and manage change in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated excellence in mentoring, team building, and performance management
- Demonstrated ability to work and manage effectively under significant deadline pressure
- Experience working with cross-functional teams/matrix management
- Knowledge of the education (PreK–12, adult ed, or higher education) or publishing industries required
- Seven to 10 years of sales experience required
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.