Senior Editor, ELA
Location: Boston, MA / Austin, TX / Remote
The Senior Editor is a subject-matter expert responsible for developing accurate, subject-specific content for SRM and its clients. The Senior Editor can function as a content lead on large and small projects to generate content, or check the work of other team members, in order to maintain quality and ensure adherence to client guidelines. Strong project management skills are essential. This position reports to the Editorial Director, Humanities.
Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities
Writing/Content Development Skills
- Apply a deep understanding of a curriculum area to accurately decide what concepts and difficulty levels are appropriate for material at different grade levels.
- Produce clearly worded, logically organized, creative content that is easy for learners to understand and on target in terms of client expectations.
- Produce content that aligns with approach, tone, and format of the program/project.
- Apply practical knowledge of what works in the classroom and what teachers expect from a good lesson, item, or activity.
- Develop clear, comprehensive templates and guidelines that reflect client requirements.
- Effectively incorporate key tenets of learning theory and design.
Editing/Content Refinement Skills
- Ensure that
- content from outside vendors or other staff is accurate and contains clear, engaging, and pedagogically sound instruction.
- content accurately matches client style, vision, philosophy, and guidelines and that approach, voice, tone, and format are consistent across deliverables from multiple writers and/or editors.
- Accurately identify and correct grammatical and stylistic errors.
- Verify the accuracy of content, both print and digital.
- Review manuscripts and proofs to ensure alignment and consistency across grade levels.
- Effectively implement client feedback and strategically communicate it and other directives to others to ensure improving quality on subsequent assignments.
Knowledge of Educational Marketplace
- Apply an understanding of what is or isn’t acceptable content based on bias and sensitivity concerns in various markets.
- Incorporate state, national, and international standards, as appropriate, into content development.
- Maintain an awareness of trends, expectations, and standards of specific client marketplaces in order to keep content as marketable as possible.
Leadership and Communication Skills
- Promptly answer queries from team members and client.
- Adapt flexibly to changes in roles and needs on projects.
- Develop editorial workflows.
- Meet as needed with the Editorial Director to review project and team performance.
- Solve content problems with sound reasoning around business and marketplace principles.
- Proactively identify solutions to issues and work with other team members to prevent problems from becoming roadblocks.
- Recognize and escalate issues of scope and approval criteria.
- Act as a genuine partner to clients.
- Adjust time-on-task to balance budget and schedule demands with client expectations.
- Collaborate effectively with project manager and other team members to balance competing demands of quality, schedule, and budget.
- Confidently direct, coach, and motivate project team members.
- Effectively communicate internally and externally, maintaining regular touchpoints with project or team staff.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in ELA or related field; master’s degree in ELA or education a plus
- Minimum of three years of experience in the publishing industry
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects and project teams
- Experience with MS Office products; experience with Adobe Acrobat a plus
- Experience with implementing house and client editorial style guidelines; familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus
- Familiarity with K–5 or middle school ELA
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail while maintaining a perspective of the totality of the project
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines while maintaining the quality of the product
- Ability to follow explicit instructions consistently but also to exercise good judgment when making work-related decisions
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn and master new technologies and processes
- Ability to positively receive and implement constructive feedback
- Ability to collaborate effectively with peers
- Available to travel for work-related commitments a plus
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.