Location: Boston, MA/Austin, TX/Remote
As a key member of the Six Red Marbles creative team, the UX/UI Designer reports to the Director of Learning Experience Design and is responsible for designing and creating superior learning experiences for our clients that are engaging, meet quality standards, use a variety of media, and meet time/budget requirements.
Taking a programmatic approach to design solutions, the UI/UX Designer works collaboratively with cross-functional teams to propose, create, and deliver engaging experiences for various delivery, considering larger project initiatives and downstream implications.
Essential Job Functions
- Creates beautiful, compelling visual designs and interactive experiences for web applications (desktop and mobile)
- Participates in all phases of the product development life cycle, including project ideation and definition, user research, experience design, visual design, layout design, art program development, style guide development and maintenance, user testing, and production oversight
- Drives projects from initiation to completion, including analyzing business and customer requirements and working with cross-functional teams to optimize the user experience
- Solves complex interaction problems with simplistic approaches, illustrating proposed solutions with user flows, wireframes, visual mock-ups, and prototypes
- Collaborates across internal functional groups to ensure designs are scalable and feasible
- Collaborates with vendors, contractors, and other assigned external resources to complete project work
- Facilitates design communication across functional groups throughout each phase of a project
- Supports and articulates decisions with research data, design principles, or other objective information
- Maintains an understanding of digital trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
- Collaborates across internal functional groups to advocate for users and user-centered design practices
- Completes essential job functions within the constraints of project schedules, budgeted hours, the statement of work, and quality guidelines
- Functions as the face of UI/UX design on a project-by-project basis for client reviews and is able to present and defend design decisions
- Possesses and maintains an understanding of contemporary design trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
Success Factors/Job Competencies
- Strong visual design capabilities and design aesthetic
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Well-versed in user-centered design methods and techniques and able to defend design approach to variety of stakeholders
- Experience with essential Adobe Creative Suite programs and other common design and prototyping applications (Sketch, Zeplin, Omnigraffle, Axure, etc.)
- Ability to oversee outsourced front-end development efforts
- Working knowledge of print design methodology, programs, and best practices
- Passion for learning design and the education industry
- Displays excellent problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- Is consistently well-organized
- Can work on a deadline to meet project schedules
- Can perform research as needed
- A self-starter who can collaborate actively with others in a cross-functional team.
- Ability to develop new approaches to complex design problems and convey these designs in the form of presentations, prototypes, and design specifications
- Ability to take initiative
Education: Degree in graphic and visual design, interaction design, or related field of study (or equivalent work experience)
Experience: At least 4 years of industry experience and current web-based portfolio
Why Six Red Marbles
Do you believe learning matters? Well, we do too.
In fact, our entire business is built around the idea that we are all always learning and therefore always students. We believe everyone deserves the most engaging and innovative learning experiences available, and our employees are the secret to our success. Our values include:
- Doing right by our people and partners
- Taking an innovative, tech-forward approach to engage students of all ages
- Putting the learner first in the content we create
- Being transparent in all we do and how we do it
- Working together to find the best solution, not the easiest solution
- Embracing that we are Always a Student
About Six Red Marbles
Six Red Marbles delivers high-quality educational programs at scale and has decades of experience developing custom materials and assessments that can align with any educational standard. We have developed thousands of interactive learning programs for schools, publishers, universities, and more with the support of our global network of subject matter experts. Six Red Marbles has offices in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Delhi, India; and Chennai, India.
Apply for This Position
Six Red Marbles is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.