DEIA Best Practices in K–12 Educational Content Development
Sep 28, 2023
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) in K–12 curriculum development challenges bias and supports learner growth. At Six Red Marbles, we understand their pivotal role in shaping curricula. Let’s explore how Six Red Marbles can be your partner in achieving approaches that support every learner.
The Significance of DEIA in K–12 Curriculum Development
Reflecting Real-World Diversity
Our world is wonderfully diverse, and education should mirror that diversity. When students see themselves and their experiences reflected in their learning materials, it not only fosters a sense of belonging but also prepares them for life beyond the classroom.
Unconscious biases can inadvertently creep into educational content. DEIA-focused curriculum development helps identify and reduce bias, creating a fair learning environment for all.
Inclusive curriculum ensures that every student, regardless of their abilities, background, or circumstances, has the opportunity to thrive. It acknowledges and celebrates differences, promoting unity in diversity.
Preparing for the Future
In a globalized world, cultural competency and an understanding of DEIA principles are essential life skills. Incorporating DEIA into education equips students for future success.
Six Red Marbles’ Approach to DEIA
Crafting Inclusive and Equitable Learning Environments
Our approach to development is conscious and intentional about addressing DEIA. We prioritize a skilled team of subject matter experts to ensure that your curriculum resonates with and supports diverse learners.
Partnering for Transformational Change
As your DEIA assessment partner, we offer:
- Evaluation of legacy content
- Analysis and reporting on existing content
- Revision of current content
- Creation of new DEIA-inclusive content
- Sensitivity guidelines based on your DEIA policies and processes · Support creating AI-enabled workflows to detect and eliminate bias before the content reaches learners
Examples of Six Red Marbles’ Recent DEIA Initiatives
- Partnered with Before Racism™ to create an anti-racism program for very young children ages 1 to 5.
- Developed lesson plans for Google Arts & Culture for Black History and Women’s History months.
- Collaborated with Gestalt Community Schools to create project-based learning activities focused on personal, community, and cultural pride.
- Designed curriculum for MindUP to bring their social-emotional learning online to support grades PreK–2, 3–5, and 6–8.
- Assisted the Anti-Defamation League in developing the Hate/Uncycled program.
Get Started Today
Let Six Red Marbles support your DEIA efforts. Sign up for a complimentary content evaluation and take the first step today.